Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Survey results...

1) How has copyright affected your creative work?
Person A: I haven't encountered anything yet, I suppose music is always an issue.
Person B: Don't know if this counts as one. but our school apparently has copyright (?) to our projects. I don't know if it will affect me much though.
Person C: I guess it restricts the amount of work i can put in my portfolio. Copyrighted characters are not allowed to be in portfolios.
Person D: Copyright limits creativity, but limited copyright is fine.
Person E: Not a whole lot, since not that many works have been put into actual production.
Person F: I haven't experienced much negative effects of this, but I see more help from it rather than having it affect me in a negative way.
Person G: No
Person H: It hasn't really.
Person I: The copyright issues affect significantly during , for example, the process of designing character and brainstorming storyline through the creation of animated short film. We would have to try to avoid our designs not to look alike from the previous released works.
Person J: Not really, especially since my work has been put on hold for right now due to the lack of finances.
Person K: It doesn't affect the process of making art for me. but maybe now that i've learnt more about CR i tend to be much more cautious when publishing my art in public space (including internet)

2) Has the threat of copyright infringment stopped you from expressing some of your ideas?
Person A: Not yet.
Person B: No.
Person C: No, but i am always wondering if i am copying someone's idea.
Person D: Nothing is new anyway. as long as we are notified and credited.
Person E: No, I will just do it!
Person F: I think in this day and age, if you don't know how to express your ideas fully in a meaningful way without infringing on copyright, then you are better off finding a better way of doing so...it's harsh, but I think if you are creative enough, you should find your own way of doing it.
Person G: No.
Person H: No.
Person I: Though the copyright infringment limits some of the ideas that we would have thought that we own the originality, the threat won't stop us to express the ideas. we might just need to think of how to change and modify in order to express the ideas in a different way.
Person J: No, i just go for it.
Person K: Not really. i usually just do it, THEN worry about all the aftermath haha. (when it comes to art making, i mean)

3) Do you "pirate" media off the internet?
Person A: I'm really good at not doing this. I rent movies and buy them if I want to own them. Usually I will listen to music through you tube say- but I have bought music off of iTunes in the past and I love owning CD's. This is different for short films though- I usually always watch them on the computer if I can. I suppose its harder to find short films besides the internet.
I understand that many people do this because they can't afford to rent or buy media.
Person B: Yes, i download music, movies.
Person C: What do you deem as "pirate"? If it means gathering resources from a resource site, then yes.
Person D: Yes.
Person E: No.
Person F: Yes.
Person G: Not really. I have used some images for teaching purposes but not otherwise. I've never sought to profit from using images obtained from the Internet.
Person H: Yes.
Person I: Yes, but if it is good, i will buy the products. So pirating media is very much like a preview before making purchases.
Person J: Yes, it's bad but yes.
Person K: Unfortunately i do... i'm attempting to stop doing so but it's difficult. first of all you need to triumph all the temptation of "free stuff"...

4) Do you feel artists are properly compensated for their work?
Person A: I suppose it depends on the situation and the 'true' value of the work.
Person B: I am not sure about fine art artists, but i think for the musicians they are not well compensated.
Person C: Some artists choose to be paid lowly. Hence the cycle of poor prices has begun.
Person D: Most of the time, no. but most of them don't really care, I think.
Person E: Not really.
Person F: Yes, because there are systems in place to do so, but NO, because not everyone can effectively take advantage of such systems.
Person G: That's not a copyright question, it's a business question. I suspect much work by artists is undervalued.
Person H: No.
Person I: Yes.
Person J: No, some are, but most artists aren't.
Person K: Some are. however, most of us aren't. i actually heard a story for that matter lately. a friend of mine uploaded her huge oil paintings on fb, and some random surfer saw them and contacted her trying to get some customized paintings done. now when it came to compensation, my friend asked what his budget was, and he simply said "no more than 200 bucks". note that he's actually asking her to paint something as big as 40" x 88". my friend was so upset by it, because 200 was simply too little, even for materials.
you can find a lot of unreasonable requests for artworks on sites such as craigslist. people are trying to bargain and keep their pocket as tight as possible. some will try to "exchange" exposure for $$. which i think is unfair.

5) Where do you engage with new information/ideas most? (i.e. Blogs, Magazines, Newspapers, News sites, Television, Online Videos, Library etc.)
Person A: The news and newspaper for news. And online (usually blogs) for more art related ideas.
Person B: Blogs.
Person C: Blogs, Online Videos, Existing animation.
Person D: All of the above.
Person E: Everywhere!
Person F: Twitter or blogs...wow, my range is so limited!
Person G: News sites, magazines, colleagues.
Person H: Websites, blogs.
Person I: From magazines, movies, Televisions, to books in library.
Person J: Everywhere.
Person K: Blogs mostly. maybe tv and video sites too.

No comments:

Post a Comment