Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Interview with Stephanie Blakey, Founder of the Animation Club

Interview with Stephanie
Nov 29, 2009

JOman: We are doing a presentation on copyright, we understand you run the animation club at Emily Carr, is that correct?

Steph: Yes, I ran the club for 2-3 years.

JOman: Did you have any problems with copyright infringment in those 2-3 years?

Steph: No I did not.

JOman: Were you actually infringing on copyright?

Steph: I didn't have any problems with infringment.

JOman: So how did the club eventually come to an end?

Steph: Well it was after the copyright speaker in professional practices. I was speaking to Leslie Bishko and Martin [Rose] appeared and said to shut it down. One of the librarians in the school had seen the poster for Coraline around school and had reported it to martin and said we had to pay a fee.

JOman: That sucks

JOman: So you didn't pay the fee?

Steph: Instead of paying the fee which we didn't know how much it was we just shut everything down.

JOman: Did you actually own the material you had shown?

Steph: Yeah, we had owned the dvd that we were showing.

JOman: So you had payed someone for the dvd?

Steph: That is correct.

JOman: Do you think that this is going to prevent you in the future from showing things?

Steph: Well, I got away with it for a while, so I think I'll need to do more research before I show more so I don't get in trouble.

JOman: So do you think that a whole bunch of people have lost out on the opportunity to see and experience films in general?

Steph: Can you rephrase?

JOman: Would you say this was a positive outcome for the film makers?

Steph: Probably not, I had seen a teacher who was really excited about showing this film to ~20 foreign exchange students, and they missed out. I pretty much had to tell them no, you can't see it.

JOman: Anything you would like to add?

Steph: I hate red tape!

No comments:

Post a Comment